Today’s Louise Lowry Davis Recreation Center has served Santa Barbara in many different capacities over the years. The building was constructed on the corner of the original SB High School in 1922. The campus occupied the block from Victoria to Anapamu and De la Vina to Chapala with playing fields in the center. The building was originally used as the shop classroom for high school students. In 1992, the City Landmarks Committee designated the building
a Structure of Merit for its architectural and historical significance. Today it serves as a community gathering space and senior activity center. The City of Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation Department intends to renovate and improve the interior and exterior of the building for public and private events. In order to expand indoor-outdoor uses and provide additional community space, we propose an enclosed courtyard and trellised pergola southeast of the building. To respect the historic quality of the building and minimize structural changes, this new space is accessed through new doors at existing window openings. Originally, innovative aluminum-framed Kawneer windows brought full ventilation through awning sashes into the classrooms; removed in the 1960s, these windows will now be returned to the original style. Investigation of the attic space indicated that the red-painted steel trusses and wood roof decking were the original exposed ceiling components. These were subsequently hidden from view by the dropped acoustic tile ceiling we see today. This low, flat ceiling will be removed to reveal the original volume ceiling defined by steel and wood, providing a complete transformation of the space.
|Project Name||Louise Lowry Davis Community Center|
|Program||Rennovation of Historic Community Center|
|Location||Santa Barbara, California|
|Year||On the Boards|
|Collaborators||City of Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation DepartmentStructural and Civil: Ashley & Vance EngineeringLandscape: CJM-LAMechanical: MECElectrical: Alan Noelle Engineering|